Contact one of our consultants
Senior Scientist in Cambridgeshire
Title: Senior Scientist, Chemistry
Looking for a senior scientist to take a leading role in its technology scouting and innovation team in identifying and investigating new research themes and projects based on advanced materials.
KEY RESULT AREAS
- Contribute to the development of new project proposals based on technological needs, trends or emerging technologies and unique technical solutions.
- Design and execute feasibility studies to establish viability based on technical merit business case and competition.
- Design, synthesis and delivery of novel materials.
- Generation of new Intellectual Property (IP) and contribute to building IP strategies of new technologies being developed in the team.
- Design, synthesis and delivery of novel materials to meet technical performance requirements. Produce proposals in order to adapt and improve materials according to performance and specification requirements.
- Design and present project proposals with sound assessments of technical viability and business case.
- Assist other chemists with synthetic routes and material design to meet the technical needs of their projects. Provide input based on both technical and health and safety aspects.
- Assessment of research areas outside previous experience; preparation of briefing documents to communicate current status, on-going research, possible opportunities, market and competitors.
- When appropriate assist with market analysis to evaluate unmet need and potential value proposition.
- Communication at appropriate level within the technical team, to management, and to stakeholders.
- Identification of IP, filing of invention disclosures, and providing feedback to ensure high quality patent applications.
- Provision of functional support to ensure good housekeeping and H&S practice and policies are maintained. Identification and control of hazards posed by chemicals and chemical reactions.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Members of the Platform Innovation team: Communicate, challenge and discuss scientific theories and the progress of studies and projects. Discuss and review analytical results.
- Stakeholders in the Platform Innovation programme.
- Chemists associated with other projects: Assist in synthesis design and risk assessment.
- IP and market analysis functions: Timely communication in order to ensure these aspects of projects are on track.
- Management and development of direct reports: Support to ensure functional duties and professional development activities are maintained and updated as required.
- Communicating and working as necessary with the relevant development teams at parent company to ensure coordination of activities and prompt dissemination of results.
- Line manager: Discussion of current and future projects and for professional development support.
- Strong scientific record. PhD in Chemistry or equivalent experience in research of advanced material design and synthesis, plus significant additional relevant experience.
- Strong track record in more than one research area, of effective design and synthesis of novel advanced functional organic materials coupled with demonstration of the targeted properties.
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Proven aptitude to adapt to new areas of research and to think creatively to identify ways to drive progress in material development to meet technical requirements.
- A keen awareness of recent trends and cutting edge technologies.
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity - rapidly access areas of research even if outside previous expertise, summarise status, identify and evaluate possible opportunities.
- Strong team-playing skills and the ability to operate in multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to plan and coordinate complex projects involving multiple scientific disciplines.
- An ability to react quickly and positively in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Appreciate and assimilate the views of others and to construct a business case / argument to support proposals.
- Understand the value of and have experience of generating IP with the ability to manage IP appropriately, including working with others to file invention disclosures in a timely fashion.
- A calm and methodical approach to work during busy periods, and the ability to work on more than one target simultaneously without loss of efficiency or productivity.
- Ability to independently identify technology opportunities and propose plans of how to address these.
- Understand the relationships between cost, quality, resources and time and apply this to the practices of work.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety systems and practices, specifically within the laboratory environment; risk assessment of chemical processes and safe working practices.
- Experience of preparing and maintaining technology roadmaps and long term research proposals.
- Experience of identifying and effectively utilising market analysis reports to strengthen and support project proposals.