Contact one of our consultants
Science Technician in London area
Science Technician - SW12
Permanent role, probationary period one school term.
Annual salary £19,700 to £20,800
PRO RATA, TERM TIME.
HOURS 8AM – 4PM.
Main purpose of the job:
To promote and support the school and be responsive and flexible in the face of change. Working to the Senior Science Technician, the postholder will support the effective and efficient teaching and learning in the Science Department.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- To organise practical support for science teaching in the School.
- To maintain apparatus and equipment, including construction and/or modification, and operate and maintain stock control of all goods to include perishables, chemicals and plants.
- To keep legal records (alcohols, poisons, etc.) and have oversight of Health and Safety within the science preparation rooms and laboratories.
- To provide equipment and materials to support science practical teaching.
- To take responsibility for stock maintenance, control and safekeeping.
- To prepare equipment and materials for practical lessons, and remove it safely afterwards.
- To prepare and demonstrate experiments. To assist with practical examinations.
- To test new experiments and assist 6th form students with practicals.
- To clean and sterilise apparatus.
- To maintain equipment and keep the science laboratories in good order, reporting any defects in the premises to the Premises Manager.
- To assist in ordering stock, checking deliveries and distribution between laboratories. Provide staff with textbooks and Student exercise books/paper for each lesson and assist with stock control of books, paper and non-specific science items
- To look after plants and any ongoing experiments during term periods.
- To arrange for all the photocopying needs of the Department.
- To prepare visual aids for teaching staff and help out at open evenings.
- To input data onto the school system and keep science department student records
- To purchase items from petty cash when required
- Implement school policies consistently
- Participate in school Appraisal scheme, including target setting and review
- Carry out any other responsibilities compatible with the role and grade of this post
Educated to A’Level equivalent or higher preferably in a science subject.
Skills and Experience
Broad based technical knowledge and skills in science including A-Level practicals.
Ability to apply technical, organisational and management skills in a school environment.
Proven inter-personal skills and the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Ability to use IT and support its use in science for student learning and administration.
Ability to manage and prioritise workload
Experience in responding to the technical demands arising from curriculum development in science.
Knowledge of current Health and Safety requirements and their implications.
Knowledge of windows based applications and an awareness of the wider use of Information and Communication Technology in science e.g. data logging.
Demonstrate personal integrity
Flexibility in the approach to work and the demands of the post
Willingness to undertake professional development
An understanding of child ‘Safeguarding’ legislation and its operation in a school environment