Contact one of our consultants
Microscopy Analyst in Gloucestershire
Location – Chipping Campden
Salary – £ 18,200 - £20,000
OWN CAR REQUIRED
We are looking for an analyst to work within the Microscopy Section, principally on contract services dealing mainly with the identification of foreign bodies reported from food, but with some work in the other areas in which the Microscopy Section is involved. The post will involve the use of a wide range of microscopy and micro-analytical techniques including light microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, X-ray microanalysis and FT-IR spectroscopy. The person appointed will be expected to work both on their own and as part of a team, taking responsibility for the identification of individual foreign body samples and preparing a report on each sample. The post-holder may also be expected to deputise when necessary for the Microscopy Section Administrative Assistant, involving booking-in of samples, sending off reports and preparation of invoices. The post, which is available immediately, would suit a candidate with an investigative frame of mind and an interest in the imaginative application of analytical techniques. Experience of microscopy techniques and a basic understanding of quality control procedures would be useful.
To undertake identification of glass samples and foreign bodies reported from food and all associated activities.
- To undertake microscopic investigations of glass fragments and other foreign bodies, food packaging and food structure and other materials using light and scanning electron microscopy, X-ray microanalysis and FT-IR analysis after appropriate training, and carry out other technical operations in accordance with the position as instructed
- Interpret analytical data
- Prepare technical reports on foreign body identification and other samples for food industry clients
- If required, to book in samples and send out reports
- To keep neat and orderly records of results and other relevant information
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Science degree required and a broad scientific background
- Experience of microscopic aspects of either food structure, histology, botany, materials science or other relevant experience preferrable.
- Ability to undertake routine testing with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work in a small team.
- Good with scientific equipment in general
- Investigative, problem-solving turn of mind.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to write clear, concise reports for non-scientific clients
- Organised, methodical approach to work