Contact one of our consultants
Microbiologist - Laboratory Technician (Temp - Maternity cover) in Surrey
Position: Microbiologist - Laboratory Technician
Contract type: Temporary
Location: Nutfield site in Surrey.
Level: G1. This is an entry level position; a degree is not essential. They are looking for someone who is prepared to learn basic microbiology testing techniques to support the team.
Transport: Please note the site at Nutfield is remote, there is no public transport and staff do need to make their own way to work. Please note: There may be a requirement for occasional travel between the Gloucestershire and Nutfield sites.
Hours: Full time, 35 hrs per week, 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Salary: Circa £17,000pa
To undertake support the microbiology team. The prime focus is within the Microbiology & Assessments Section, but may also be asked to perform supportive tasks within the Department.
Duties and responsibilities
• Assist the Microbiology team with media and equipment preparation (20%)
• Maintain cleanliness of the Microbiology areas (15%)
• Autoclaving of used materials (15%)
• Calibration, maintenance and daily monitoring of laboratory equipment (10%)
• Assist with the microbiological analysis of samples (40%)
Qualifications and competencies
• Educated to BTEC Level 3, A-level or equivalent. A qualification in science or relevant laboratory experience would be an advantage
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Good organisational skills
• Able to work efficiently
• Pro-active and flexible in helping other team members
• Able to work quickly in a busy environment
• Able to do lifting and manual handling