Contact one of our consultants
Laboratory Technicians Job in Hampshire
Near Hook, Hampshire.
£23 - £28k plus benefits
Own Transport essential due to shifts and location
Due to continued success, growth, and new services, vacancies are available in our clients accredited chemical laboratory in Hampshire. These are for permanent, full time positions with opportunities for inexperienced entry level technicians, recent graduates looking for a first opportunity, and more experienced scientists looking for employment.
The work involves preparation and testing samples of oil, lubricants, fuel, etc., and reporting of the results to Clients, in line with Quality Assurance Standards. Full on-the-job training and instruction required to carry out these duties will be provided. Some of the duties are listed below:
- preparation of chemical solvent and control/calibration of samples;
- preparation of test samples and sample testing;
- maintaining quality control checks;
- interpreting test results;
- maintaining good laboratory practices and assisting with general housekeeping duties;
- disposal of used chemicals and test samples.
We are looking for applicants who are enthusiastic, motivated, with a willingness to learn, who are able to use their initiative, and think independently. The successful candidate should:
- have an interest in Chemistry.
- be a careful and methodical worker;
- be able to work to deadlines;
- have neat handwriting and a good standard of both Maths and English;
- be PC literate, and have some experience in the use of Microsoft Office;
- be able to work in a team and to communicate with all levels of staff; and for more senior positions, Clients;
- be familiar with and committed to quality assurance.
Starting salaries range from £23,000 to £28,000 pa subject to skills, qualifications, and experience. These are reviewed after successful completion of the probation period and yearly thereafter.
The working hours in order of priority are:
Option 1: Monday to Friday, 37½ hours per week, 7½ hours plus a one-hour unpaid lunch break per day. Fixed-permanently as a Very Late Shift 3:30 pm to 0:00 am (midnight). Whilst working the Very Late Shift, an allowance equivalent to an additional 5 hours per week shall be paid (approx. 13.2% of salary). Priority will be given to candidates who wish to do this shift.
Option 2: The hours will be arranged in a four-week rota, as follows:
- Two weeks in four, working Monday to Friday, 37½ hours per week, 7½ hours plus a one-hour unpaid lunch break per day, normal daytime start and end times as agreed with the manager/supervisor.
- One week in four will include a normal 7½ hour working day on the Saturday, currently 8:00 am to 4:00 pm including a ½ hour unpaid lunch break, with one day taken off in lieu during the week or the following week.
- One week in four will include late shift working Monday to Friday, currently 1:30 pm – 10:00 pm, including a one-hour unpaid lunch break.
You will be joining a stable and well-established organisation in state-of-the-art offices offering a very comfortable working environment with a purpose-built laboratory facility. In the busy laboratory and your day-to-day tasks, over time you will have the opportunity to use a variety of test methods and equipment. Other benefits include annual leave 28 days rising to 33 days pa pro-rata (inclusive of Bank/Public holidays), work related contributory pension scheme, free Wi-Fi, and on-site parking.