Contact one of our consultants
Laboratory Technician - Friday to Tuesday Shift in Devon and Cornwall
Laboratory Assistant Scientist Position – Molecular Biology
Based at the Exeter Science Park - Ada Lovelace Building, Upper Richardson, Exeter EX5 2FS
Department: Molecular Microbiology Laboratory
Working hours: 37 hours spread from Friday to Tuesday.
Shift patterns : 6am - 2pm, OR 2pm - 10pm
Salary: £10.15 - £12.45 per hour, with enhancements on weekends.
Holiday: 33 days holiday (including bank holidays)
Based at the Exeter Science Park and as part of the National Monitoring Laboratories, the Environment Agency is undertaking crucial work that forms a key part of the government’s ongoing response to COVID – 19. This is an exciting opportunity to join the new EA Laboratory, carrying out RNA detection of SARS-CoV-2 in waste water using Polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
The role is for a Grade 2 Laboratory Assistant Scientist and you will prepare and analyse the samples, reporting directly to the Senior Scientist and working close to the Laboratory Team Leader.
The key responsibilities and requirements for the position will be:
- Adaptable, enthusiastic, self-motivated, and able to work flexibly to achieve results.
- Having attention to detail, being reliable and not afraid to take on a challenge
- Being familiar with Molecular Analysis: laboratory experience with molecular procedures for PCR testing, using a variety of molecular testing methods and instrument tools.
- Working across teams: interacting with other laboratory team members, including senior management, sample registration team, data reporting, etc.
- Assist with cleaning of laboratory areas to ensure a high standard of environmental and biological control.
- Operate and maintain the laboratory equipment to ensure it is fit for use, and maintain the capacity of laboratory operations.
- Complete records and logs of work as appropriate, to maintain accurate and up to date data base records.
*Candidates must be local, or own their own transport due to shift times & days.
**This role is full-time, and unsuitable for candidates looking for summer work