Contact one of our consultants
High Containment Engineer Job in Surrey
12 months Contract
Hybrid working - ideally 2/3 days per week onsite in Weybridge
Pay Rate per day: £800 (Umbrella)
Working on the improvement of the Weybridge Laboratory for The Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA).
The site now comprises over 80 buildings covering 70,000m2+ in gross floor area in a mix of high containment research and development and testing laboratories as well as animal holding facilities.
A significant number of the buildings are more than 40 years old and hence investment in upgrading and replacing the facilities is in progress. The investment planned is a mixture of refurbishment of existing stock and the creation of new facilities as part of a masterplan development.
- Responsible for the bio-safety containment system assurance of the design, installation, commissioning of projects.
- Assessing and reporting on engineering bio containment compliance and assessed risk with responsibility for identified bio containment risks and maintaining them on the risk register.
- Contributing to the development of site engineering standards and processes aligned with industry best practice, ensuring that all new assets are installed in accordance with statutory compliance and deliver reliability of operations.
- Responsible for the Intelligent Client function to assess and review bio containment engineering solutions proposed and delivered by programmes; ensuring all proposals are fit for purpose, compliant with industry standards and deliver best practice for the business.
- Contributes to engineering working groups and decisions making related to the holistic estate engineering design strategies.
- Reviewing designer performance, undertaking, and supporting design reviews, Sign-off of design stage gateways.
- Working collaboratively with stakeholders.
- Degree qualified in mechanical engineering, building services engineering, architectural engineering and/or a construction industry related engineering qualification.
- Five years minimum project bio containment management in a research, science or similar complex environment, with experience of managing design standards and assurance.
- Chartered status and registered with the engineering council or relevant equivalent professional body.
- Stakeholder management skills.
- Science and Research experience with CL3/CL4 experience is essential.
Site includes high containment facilities that rely on electrical power, ventilation, steam, etc. to maintain a safe operational environment. Building Service Design experience is essential.