Contact one of our consultants
Communications Expert in Hampshire
Role: Communications Expert
Contracting Authority: DSTL / MOD
Contract Length: Until Aug 2020
Pay Rate: £ 538.28 UMBRELLA/ £400.64 PAYE
To provide technical and scientific expertise in Underwater C4 in supporting the successful delivery of UK Defence submarine communications programmes.
Dstl’s Optical Communications programme includes a DE&S funded Technology Demonstrator Programme and associated Science and Technology (S&T) projects both supporting a US/UK Optical Communications Project Arrangement. Dstl require SQEP support to augment and support the core Dstl team in their delivery of these projects. Dstl are working with UK industry and in international collaboration with the US on these projects.
- Provide SQEP support in the planning and execution of the optical communications programme, working closely with the Dstl team
- The expert review of reports, presentations, technical results and outputs, providing Optical Communications
Dstl has a number of projects concerned with the sustainment of communications for the submarine programme. Dstl require SQEP support to augment and support the Dstl team in their delivery of these projects. Dstl are working with UK industry and in international collaboration with the US on some of these projects.
- Provide expert support in the planning and execution of the Dstl’s submarine communications projects, working closely with the Dstl team
- The expert review of reports, presentations, technical results and outputs, providing summaries, feedback and guidance to the Dstl team and relevant industry teams
- Provide SQEP support to Dstl’s submarine C4 capability planning activities for Joint Force Command Capability (JFC Cap) and the Defence Nuclear Organisation (DNO), working closely with the Dstl team. This will include contributions to presentations and reports.
There will be a requirement to travel to UK contractor sites in the South of England for meetings. There may be a requirement to travel to the US to support Dstl in technical meetings
The applicant should possess:
- Experience of and expertise in the technical design and engineering of defence related radio frequency communication systems is essential, coupled with ability to transfer those skills to bearers in other parts of the spectrum
- Desirable is experience of the technical design and engineering of strategic submarine communications
- Desirable is experience of free space optical communications
- Desirable is experience of submarine communications
- Excellent interpersonal skills - able to work with civilian and military personnel at all levels
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Good report-writing, co-ordination and editorial skills
- Good presentation skills
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts effectively to non-specialists, including project managers and international audiences
- Track record of delivering work to time, cost and quality
- Ability to work to high standards with minimal supervision
- Must be a UK national with SC clearance, DV is desirable
- A degree, preferably a postgraduate degree, in science or engineering